(Inspired by Dr. Fuhrman’s Black Bean brownies)Makes 12 brownies
1 19 oz./793 g can black beans (salt free) or 2 cups fresh cooked black beans, drained
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp almond butter or peanut butter
12 large medjool dates, pitted (18-24 if using smaller dates)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tbsp ceylon (sweet) cinnamon
2 tbsp quick/instant oats (optional, use only if mixture is too wet)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F/ 177 C.
2. Chop the dates into small pieces. Combine black beans, dates, vanilla and almond butter in a food processor or Vita-Mix and blend until smooth. (Food processor preferred.)
3. Add cocoa and cinnamon and blend again. (Do NOT add cocoa until the previous ingredients are blended or it will be virtually impossible to mix)
4. If mixture is too dry, add another tablespoon of peanut butter. If mixture is too wet, add oats and process again.
5. Line a square baking pan with parchment paper leaving enough to fold up the sides.
6. Spoon mixture into pan and spread out with spatula or hands.
7. Bake for 30 minutes.